Having problems with your water bill or water quality?

Are you having problems with high water bills, poor customer service, un-repaired water main breaks, or other issues with WV American Water? We want to hear about it. We are documenting the widespread problems with WV American Water, building the case for a public water system. See below for more information on filing complaints about water problems.


Additional steps you can take:

1. Complain to the company. Complaints to West Virginia American Water can be made by phone to 1-800-685-8660.

2. Call the West Virginia Public Service Commission to register an informal complaint.

A)      Call the PSC’s toll-free complaint line (1-800-642-8544) or file an informal complaint online here: http://www.psc.state.wv.us/Scripts/Util_Informal_Request/Efile_Informal_Request.cfm

B)      Specify that you are filing an informal complaint under West Virginia State Rule 150-1-6, and that the utility must respond to the PSC within ten days of the PSC's contacting them about your complaint. 

C)      Provide the receptionist with the following information:

a.       Your name, mailing & physical addresses, city, county, zip code, telephone number, & email address (if you want them to use it)

b.      Your utility account number (available on your latest water bill or your online account)

c.       The facts of your complaint (if you have spoken with the utility company, you should include the name of the utility and company personnel you have talked with, & the action they took on your complaint, if any)

d.      A brief explanation of the solution that you want

3. If your complaint is not resolved, file a formal complaint with the Public Service Commission. Any person may file a written complaint to the Commission about any water company action in violation of a PSC regulation.  (There is a form to use which can be found at http://www.psc.state.wv.us/Forms/InteractiveForm120131211.pdf ). The formal complaint process is different from the informal because it triggers a legal proceeding before the Commission. 

DISCLAIMER: Nothing on this page should be construed as legal advice.